Monday, April 1, 2013

Green Materials Q&A: How do I fix compost that was made with only green material?

Question by Tee: How do I fix compost that was made with only green material?
I have been composting all of my kitchen scraps for a few months now but haven’t used much, if any, brown material such as leaves, twigs and clippings. The majority of the pile is already broken down. should I just scratch this batch and start over. I also recently found out that your not supposed to be using dog feces and I have also used some of that in my pile as well. Any advise from anyone with experience?
I guess my real question is: will adding a bunch of “brown” to the already composted “green” restart the micro-organic process and heat the pile – or am I just wasting brown material that I could use to start a new pile? I have about 50 gallons right now.

Best answer:

Answer by Roddy
You CAN compost dog feces. The USDA has a PDF file, (might take a minute to download depending on your connection speed), that provides safe instructions on how to do it. There are also other sites on the web showing how to do it as well as videos. You have to have a hot pile to make it safe. If you are using a cold pile you might want to start over and just spread your current batch on the lawn. Your grass will thank you for it.

Add your own answer in the comments!



Tags:compost, Green, made, material, Materials, ONLY

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Site Search