Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Green Living Dallas Anyone move from Texas (Dallas area) to Portland, Oregon area?

Question by Pigpaws: Anyone move from Texas (Dallas area) to Portland, Oregon area?
I’m curious how different the weather is. Also, me and my husband are very liberal and want to get the H out of conservative Texas. Is Portland more open minded? Please also recommend any areas to live- suburbs are fine- also any other areas in Washington or Oregon. We love the outdoors too but would like to avoid extreme winters. Thanks!

Best answer:

Answer by ad21635
Hi there. My wife and I moved to Portland from Austin 2 years ago. I also grew up in Dallas, so I can relate to your situation. Anyhow, yes Portland is conservative. Much of the populace is green minded and liberal. But Portland also has its fair share of good ‘ol boys and pick-up trucks too. It’s very similiar to Austin in that way…but still much better than Dallas. Really just depends on the circles you run in.

The weather is very different than TX. Summers in Portland are amazing, I don’t think you can find a better summer anywhere. Sunny and between 80-90 degrees with little or no humitidy. Winters are very cloudy, cold, and rainy. Rarely cold enough to freeze though.

As far as the rain taking its toll on us, the first year we were here wasn’t too bad but last year was terrible; lots of rain. I was sick of it by March. It’s hard to tell what this winter will bring…Nov. was mild but I’m writing this while I stare at a foot of snow outside my window. But don’t let that scare you, a foot of snow in the city is very out of the ordinary.

There are a lot of cool neighborhoods in Portland so it’s hard to recommend one. I like Sellwood, Hawthorne, St. Johns, Laurelhurst, and Hollywood to name a few. The burbs (Beaverton and Hillsboro) are ok too if you like that kind of thing. If you live in Hillsboro, count on a 45 minute commute (one way) if you work in downtown Portland.

Having said all that, I’d be remiss if I didn’t tell you that my wife and I are ready to leave. Cost of living is higher, traffic sucks due to all the bridges, we don’t like the city that much, we really don’t like the people (they’re just weird. also, i’m used to ‘southern hospitality’ so as far as i’m concerned they’re not too friendly either), and we’re getting sick of the rain.

You sure you don’t want to give Austin a try before going all the way to Portland? Austin is green, liberal, outdoorsy, and not nearly as rainy. We’d still be there if I could snowboard every weekend in TX…

Add your own answer in the comments!



Tags:Anyone, area, Dallas, from, Green, Living, move, Oregon, Portland, Texas

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Site Search