Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Energy Efficient Homes I want to install good energy efficient windows in my 1981 house, what is good ?

Question by I Love Jesus: I want to install good energy efficient windows in my 1981 house, what is good ?
I don’t have a lot of money, but piece by piece I am trying to make my 1981 home more energy efficient and i live in Oregon where we do get cold winters, Someone told me vinyl was the way to go, but This Old House site, if I read it correctly, didn’t agree? What do you know ?

Best answer:

Answer by btempered1
Vinyl or wood are good replacements most of all do you have good insulation in the house as you will also need this having a great window but pourous walls is like putting the best drain on a tub that’s cracked . If you are looking for product lines Check out Anderson, Pella, Jen Weld. Look for a polybutylene break and what r rating you get make sure they are wrapped with an insullation batt. when you decide to purchas ,let the window eplacement company at least measure and make the order as they will make sure that you get the right sized windows for the opening. Some people order themselves and they get stuck having to modify all of thier Jambs a very expensive and time consuming issue. Please also check out the installation costs as well if you use the window company you are getting licensed and well experienced people just check with some previous customers and see if you can visit one of thier jobs and look for yourself. This is a great project and one that will pay for itself if done right.Good Luck

Give your answer to this question below!



Tags:1981, Efficient, energy, Good, Homes, house, install, want, Windows

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Site Search