Sunday, May 26, 2013

Green Tips Do the bulbs growing on my moonflower need to be removed and planted? If so, how?

Question by Shannon J: Do the bulbs growing on my moonflower need to be removed and planted? If so, how?
I live in north Texas (Dallas-Fort Worth area) and I have a question about a moonflower vine. It has been growing nicely in a large pot, but it has developed three large bulbs with little green tips sticking out of the end of them. I am not sure what to do with the bulbs. I know that they are not flower buds, they are larger than the flowers we have had, and have been there quite a while without any kind of blooming.

I actually cracked one open, and it looked like a large seed inside. The second one appears to be drying out, and the third looks very much alive. Could you please tell me if these need to be removed and planted?

Best answer:

Answer by `•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•Herb
In late fall, remove the dry seed pods and save them for spring. Each pod contains 100′s of seeds. (Wear gloves, when they’re dry, they hurt). Keep in cool dry area over winter, Pull out the rest of the plant and dispose of. After last frost, soak seeds in warm water for 8 hours or slightly longer. Then plant about 1 inch deep, directly in soil.
The plant may have stopped blooming from over fertilization.

What do you think? Answer below!



Tags:bulbs., Green, growing, moonflower, need, planted, removed, Tips

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Site Search